Weighscale for the Grapevineä and ProTrakä
Thank you for purchasing The
Working Weighscale. We hope you enjoy
using your new weighscale.
Do not apply power until all
connections have been made.
The electronic components
used in this device are static-sensitive.
Use appropriate precautions before handling. Always move the components using the antistatic bags
provided. Remove the devices from the
antistatic bags only after discharging any static charge that has built up on
Grapevineä node programmed for weighscale operation
LCD display with attached 14
conductor ribbon cable, one 6- and one 4-conductor phone cables
14 conductor ribbon cable
2 momentary on pushbuttons
(1 red, 1 black) with attached 4-conductor phone cable
0.187” power connector
0.110” power connector
- The location where the scale is to be installed
must first be prepared. Ensure
that the chosen location is dry. Without
track or roadbed, the scale is 1 13/16” tall, 8” long and 1 1/4"
- The LCD display and pushbuttons must be mounted
on a panel no more than 18” from the Grapevineä node.
- The Grapevineä node should be mounted no more than 18” from
the scale in a dry location.
9 to 15 filtered VDC, 500
Other Requirements not included in this purchase
- ProTrak™ software
- RS-232 to RS-422 interface compatible with the
- 6 conductor Grapevineä cable
- Grapevineä termination cable
- Mount the Grapevine™ node, the LCD display and
the pushbuttons in the desired locations.
- Do not mount the weighscale in its final
position just yet.
- Review the accompanying diagram for cable
- Connect the cable for the Y pushbutton (black)
that is marked “0” to the 3-pin header marked “0” on the top side of the Grapevine™ node printed circuit
- Attach the cable for the Y pushbutton (black)
that is marked “1” to the 3-pin header marked “1” on the top side of the
Grapevine™ node printed circuit board.
- Connect the 14-pin ribbon cable leading from the
LCD display to the 14-pin socket on Grapevine™ node closest to the power
- Connect the 3-pin cables that are marked “3”,
“4” and “5” to any of the remaining 3-pin headers on the Grapevine™ node.
- Connect the free end of the cable marked “3” to
the 4-pin header on the circuit board mounted underneath the weighscale.
- Connect one end of the 14-conductor ribbon cable
to the 14-pin header on the weighscale, and then connect the other end to
the remaining 14-pin header on the Grapevine™ node.
- Mount the weighscale in its final position.
- Plug a 6 conductor Grapevine™ cable leading from
another Grapevine™ node “OUT”
RJ-12 phone socket (or from the RJ-12 socket on the RS-232 to
RS-422 adapter) to the “IN” RJ-12 phone socket on the Grapevine™ node for
- Plug the Grapevine™ termination cable in the
“OUT” RJ-12 phone socket or use a 6-conductor Grapevine™ cable to connect
to the next Grapevine™ node.
- Crimp the 0.187” female terminal on to a wire
from the positive supply voltage.
- Crimp the 0.110” female terminal on to a wire
for the ground supply voltage.
- Press the power terminals you have just crimped,
onto the male terminals on the Grapevine™ node.
- Turn on the power. The green LED on the Grapevine™ node circuit board should
light. The LCD display should read
“Scale ready… Press Y to start”
and the backlight on the display should light. If this does not occur, disconnect the power and check your
- If all
is well you are ready to start using your weighscale with ProTrakä.